Thursday, August 27, 2009

Night Stalker 1.5x03 First Sight

Episode Written by Lee A. Chrimes
Review Written by David A. Bindley

Disclaimer: It’s entirely possible I’m taking the wrong things out of these episodes. It’s entirely possible I’m really not very good at explaining the things going through my mind. It’s entirely possible I lose all sense of coherency when trying for analysis over snark. It’s entirely possible I over-compare things to What I’ve Seen Before. It’s entirely possible I’m an idiot. All things I’m working on. Except for the idiot thing, that’s probably genetic.

This time, I’m going to do stream-of-consciousness reviewing, because my God normal reviewing doesn’t seem to work for me. (And if this doesn’t work either, I’m totally stealing the old XandPro review format.)

…Okay, so. Chrimes. Do I critique harshly and risk getting Lee offside in the lead-up to Leap, or do I go soft and leave everybody except my inner bitch happy? I have no idea.

So it’s something with Boone’s eyes that lets him go all like Robert Patrick Modell, right? Here, it doesn’t seem as though he can immediately get his way, which is a good way of avoiding this being a carbon copy of Pusher and Kitsunegari (though the prison escape was also done like this in KG).

Michael C. Hall seems like an absolutely PERFECT casting choice. Brilliant.

That’s the first time I’ve ever seen anyone give that answer to “Is he armed?”. It seems so damn right that I’m surprised I’ve never seen it before.

Why the hell wasn’t anyone else asking how Boone escaped?

Sudoku? Heh.

Hypnotoad? Double heh. Everybody loves Hypnotoad.

This episode sort of feels like the antithesis of the previous two – here, we feel like we know from the beginning what the Freak Of The Week does and how he does it, but we don’t know why he’s doing it; whereas in the previous weeks it was left as a mystery until the leads themselves figured it out. Both storytelling methods have their advantages, but I think this week’s style seems to gel a bit better compared to the others.

Oh, man. So many used condom jokes, so little time. (What would the Actual TV equivalent be for getting past the censors? A G-string?)

Sooner or later, someone’s going to wind up asking how Kolchak keeps getting to these crime scenes so quickly.

Yeah, I totally got sidetracked by the episode and forgot to keep reviewing. Oops.

It’s always a case of “be careful what you wish for” on genre shows, isn’t it?

So Perri’s doing all this of her own volition? Why? She can’t exactly write about what she’s experiencing – Vincenzo would never let it in the paper – so she’s got no real reason to stay, right? He’s not forcing her? I don’t think I get it.

Simon says get to the damn point of your little show already, Boone.

Oh, cool. He actually does. Nice way to get in some character exposition here. It’s not really development, per se, given we’ve seen and read much of this before, but it’s still hella worth reading. And it’s not a simple all-out brawl scene. Even better.

Convicted killer or not, would anyone really be made to wear blacked out goggles forever? That seems a bit hokey given the rest of the episode.

Rating: Eight used condoms out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment